Monday, October 24, 2011

Sounds + Cycles

Tibetan music notation

19th century Mongolian music tablature

French Psalm from 1700




The recorded sound of five Lake Michigan waves.


Lunar tides diagram

dance notation

don't worry, just vocal cords

car engine (pistons) which I heard a lot of


For my journey, I walked from my house to this nature preserve and then along the beach of Lake Michigan. I wanted to focus on the sounds of the experience, so I recorded the entire thing. From there, I began exploring what sound is, what kinds of things made the sounds that I heard, and how sound can be represented visually. I stretched my theme a little further to the idea of cycles, like the cycle of the tides and the moon, and how sounds are produced by cyclical, repetitive motions. I also found some super-fascinating examples of ancient music notation.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome visuals. Some other things to think about...

    • circles in considering the life patterns of the living (or once living) things you encountered.
    • layering of sound in relation to the layering of the surface you were walking on.
    • ear anatomy

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you know where i can find a more complete investigation about tibetan music notation?

    ReplyDelete